DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA: On July 20th, 2022, The Academy for Justice at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law – in conjunction with the Justice Roundtable, the National Cannabis Roundtable and the Weldon Project’s MISSION [GREEN] – will host an in-person symposium on federal marijuana law, public safety and presidential clemency. Speakers at the event will include former H.H.S. Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, former Deputy Attorney General James Cole, U.S. Pardon Attorney Elizabeth Oyer, Members of Congress from both parties, directly-impacted advocates and other experts on cannabis policy and criminal justice reform.
Please note that this event is closed to press.
Washington, D.C. symposium on cannabis, criminal justice reform and clemency.
Wednesday, July 20th, 2022
Symposium Participants Will Include:
- Kathleen Sebelius, former U.S. Secretary of Health & Human Services, and former Governor of Kansas
- James M. Cole, former Deputy Attorney General of the United States, and Partner & Global Co-Lead of White Collar Practice with Sidley Austin
- Elizabeth Oyer, U.S. Pardon Attorney and former Federal Public Defender
- Weldon Angelos, President of The Weldon Project, Co-Founder of MISSION [GREEN], Music Producer, and Criminal Justice Reform Advocate Clemency Symposium
- John Hudak, Deputy Director of the Center for Effective Management and Senior Fellow in Governance Studies, Brookings Institute
- Clark Neily, Sr. Vice President of Legal Studies, Cato Institute
- Nkechi Taifa, Convener Emeritus, The Justice Roundtable; Founder and Principal of the The Taifa Group, LLC
- Amy Ralston Povah, Founder, CAN-DO Clemency
- Kemba Smith, Co-Convener, The Justice Roundtable; Member, Virginia Parole Board and Virginia Criminal Sentencing Commission
- Erik Luna, Amelia D. Lewis Professor of Constitutional & Criminal Law and Faculty Director of the Academy for Justice, Arizona State University
- Douglas A. Berman, Newton D. Baker-Baker & Hostetler Chair in Law and Professor of Law; Executive Director of the Drug Enforcement and Policy Center, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law; author of the casebook “Marijuana Law and Policy”
- Robert A. Mikos, LaRoche Family Chair in Law and Professor of Law, Vanderbilt University Law School; author of the casebook “Marijuana Law, Policy, and Authority”
- Cynthia W. Roseberry, Co-Convener, The Justice Roundtable; Deputy Director, ACLU Justice Division, American Civil Liberties Union
- Ja’Ron Smith, Partner, Dentons Global Advisors, and former Deputy Assistant to President Trump and Deputy Director of the White House Office of American Innovation
- Mark Osler, Robert & Marion Short Distinguished Chair in Law and Professor of Law, University of St. Thomas; Member, Justice Roundtable; former Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Mark Holden, Board Chairman, Americans for Prosperity; Sr. Vice President, Stand Together; and former Sr. Vice President, Koch Industries