WASHINGTON: The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) is hosting a day-long Listen and Learn forum concerning draft conceptual marijuana packaging and labeling rules (red-line version; non-red-line version). An agenda is attached to help you prepare.
Please join us on Friday, October 11, 2019, from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. at our Headquarters Boardroom, located at 1025 Union Avenue SE, in downtown Olympia. You may also attend via webinar.
Revisions of the draft conceptual marijuana packaging and labeling rules include:
- Packaging thickness of 2 mil. or greater (formerly 4 mil.);
- Provision that marijuana infused edibles in liquid form may include a measuring device such as a measuring cup or dropper; hash marks on the bottle or container qualify as a measuring device;
- Inclusion of framework for therapeutic claims, including definition of “structure and function” consistent with the requirements of ESHB 5298;
- Strengthened existing language regarding listing compounds and other substances added to marijuana concentrates;
- Alignment of references to child, youth, or minor to “persons under the age of twenty-one” to assure consistency; and
- Complete redesign of WAC 314-55-105. The rule section begins with definitions. Then, each subsection addresses a specific type of product, and the specific packaging and labeling requirements for that product. This creates a framework for checklists being developed by LCB staff that will align with rule, and are anticipated to increase compliance success.
Additionally, this draft conceptual rule set contemplates withdrawal of BIPs 05-2018, 07-2018, 09-2018, 10-2018, and 14-2019.