To: Current and Potential Social Equity Cannabis Retail Applicants
Fr: Liquor and Cannabis Board
Re: LCB Staff to Request Extension of Social Equity Application Window to April 27, 2023
Liquor and Cannabis Board (LCB) staff will bring an emergency rule proposal to extend the March 30, 2023 application deadline for social equity cannabis retail licenses to April 27, 2023. Staff will propose this extension at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting on March 29, 2023.
Challenges Forming Business Entities
The Secretary of State’s Office is currently backlogged processing business entity applications. While the Office is working diligently to clear the backlog, the delay in processing impacts the timely completion of all necessary requirements for some applicants who are seeking to form a business entity. Under current rules, applicants have 30 days to complete the application process. However, out of an abundance of caution and fairness to those applicants seeking to form a business entity, staff will propose the extension.
Should the Board choose to accept staffs’ proposal, the emergency rule will be promptly filed with the state Code Revisor’s Office and communicated via GovDelivery, the LCB website and normal LCB communication channels.
Applicants can still apply for a retail license until the window closes. Please review the LCB website for the most accurate and up-to-date information. Keep in mind the following information when preparing and submitting an application.
- You may only apply for a Social Equity License once.
- This program is for retail licenses only. Producer/processor licenses are not available.
- You cannot make changes to your business structure after submitting your application, so make sure it is correct before submitting your application.
- After the application window closes on March 30, third-party contractor Ponder Diversity Group will reach out with a link to create an account to submit verification documentation.
- After you apply, check your Business Licensing account to ensure the application was submitted and payment was made. Applications that are incomplete or have insufficient funds on March 30, 2023 will not be processed.
If you are interested in applying for a Social Equity license, please review the applicant checklist on the LCB website. For further assistance, review our Frequently Asked Questions page, where you can also submit your own questions.