ILLINOIS: Cresco Labs, one of the largest vertically integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States, today released its unaudited financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2019. All financial information presented in this release is in U.S. dollars, unless otherwise noted.
Second Quarter 2019 Highlights and Subsequent Events
- Second quarter revenue of $29.9 million, up 253% year-over-year and 42% quarter-over-quarter.
- Second quarter pro forma revenue1 increased 55% quarter-over-quarter to $52.7 million, which includes the impact of pending acquisitions and investments.
- Second quarter Adjusted EBITDA2 of $14.5 million, compared to $4.8 million in the prior-year period. Excluding the impact of biological assets, adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter was $2.3 million.
- Second quarter 2019 financial results included $3.2 million related to share-based incentive compensation, acquisition and other non-recurring costs of $3.2 million and $0.7 million in one-time charges related to the Company’s expansion in California.
- Second quarter net loss of $3.9 million, compared to net income of $1.6 million in the prior-year period.
- As of June 30, 2019, the Company had total assets of $355.0 million, including cash and cash equivalents of $61.1 million and a working capital position of $128.7 million with zero debt on the balance sheet.
- The Company is operational in seven U.S. states, with binding transactions pending in New York, Massachusetts and Florida, as well as approved expansion into Michigan.
- The Company expects its acquisition of Origin House to close during the fourth quarter of 2019, which greatly expands its distribution network in California.
- Cresco received regulatory approval for its acquisition of Valley Agriceuticals, LLC., providing the Company with one of 10 vertically integrated licenses granted in the State of New York.
- Continued hiring top talent including a new Chief Information Officer and a new Chief People Officer, bringing total staff headcount to approximately 1,400 employees at the end of the second quarter of 2019, including pending acquisitions.
“We delivered an outstanding quarter that reflects the leading positions we have established in some of the most attractive markets in the cannabis industry,” said Charles Bachtell, Co-founder and CEO of Cresco Labs. “We are seeing accelerating revenue growth driven primarily by market share gains and strong trends in registered patients in our established markets of Illinois and Pennsylvania, as well as our expanded presence and distribution in California. As we scale our operations in our established markets, we are seeing the positive impact on gross profit margin that we projected. The higher revenue and margins helped to drive a substantial increase in Adjusted EBITDA compared to the prior quarter.
“While our increasing profitability demonstrates our ability to effectively execute and leverage the attractive model we have developed, we continue to operate with a long-term perspective and make investments to position Cresco Labs to lead the cannabis industry in the years to come. We are transforming the retail cannabis experience with the national rollout of our Sunnyside* dispensaries, expanding into the CBD market with the launch of our WellBeings product line, and expanding our cultivation and retail operations in Illinois to capitalize on adult-use legalization beginning in 2020. As we continue to capitalize on the strong organic growth trends in our current markets and complete our pending acquisitions of Origin House and VidaCann, we expect to deliver continued improvement in revenue and profitability, resulting in further value being created for our shareholders,” said Mr. Bachtell.
Financial Results for the Second Quarter Ended June 30, 2019 (Unaudited)
Revenue for the second quarter of 2019 was $29.9 million, an increase of 253% compared to revenue of $8.5 million for the second quarter of 2018. The increase in revenue was driven by expansion into new markets and continued growth in the states where the Company operates. Second quarter 2019 revenue increased 42% compared to $21.1 million for the first quarter of 2019, primarily driven by higher revenue generated in Pennsylvania, Illinois and California. On a pro forma basis, revenue for the second quarter of 2019 increased 55% from the first quarter of 2019 to $52.7 million, which includes the impact of pending acquisitions and minority investments.
Second quarter 2019 operational gross profit2, before the impact of biological assets accounting, was $14.4 million, or 48.1% of revenues, compared to $9.4 million, or 44.6% of revenues, for the first quarter of 2019. The improvement in operational gross profit margin was driven by greater scale in the Company’s established markets, increasing efficiencies in cultivation, processing and packaging, partially offset by the impact of initial costs associated with expansion into newer markets like California, Ohio and Arizona, where the Company expects to see higher margins as these operations continue to scale.
Total expenses for the second quarter of 2019 were $20.6 million, compared to $3.2 million for the prior year period. Total expenses in the second quarter of 2019 included $3.0 million in expenses related to share-based incentive compensation, $3.2 million in acquisition and other non-recurring costs and $0.9 million of depreciation and amortization. The balance of the increase represents investments made in talent and operational infrastructure to support the Company’s continued revenue growth.
Net loss for the second quarter for 2019 was $3.9 million, compared to net income of $1.6 million for the prior-year period. Current period net income included income tax expense of $5.6 million, primarily driven by discrete tax items related to the legal close of the acquisitions of MedMar Inc. and PDI Medical.
Adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter of 2019 was $14.5 million, compared to $4.8 million for the prior-year period. Excluding the net impact of the fair value of biological assets, Adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter of 2019 was $2.3 million.
Balance Sheet and Liquidity
As of June 30, 2019, the Company had total assets of $355.0 million, including cash and cash equivalents of $61.1 million and a working capital position of $128.7 million with zero debt on the balance sheet. Use of cash in the second quarter of 2019 included significant investments in the expansion of cultivation, processing and retail facilities in the Company’s existing markets, payments for the legal close of the MedMar Inc. and PDI Medical acquisitions, and funding provided to pending acquisitions to drive the continued development of facilities.
Conference Call and Webcast
The Company will hold a conference call and webcast to discuss its business and financial results on Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 5 p.m. Eastern Time. The conference call may be accessed via Cresco’s investors website at investors.crescolabs.com or by dialing 866-688-4235 (409-216-0711 for international callers) and entering conference ID 3385937. Archived access to the webcast will be available for one year on Cresco’s investors website.
Consolidated Financial Statements
The financial information reported in this news release is based on unaudited management prepared financial statements for the three and six months ended June 30, 2019. The Company will file its condensed interim consolidated financial statements on SEDAR by August 29th, 2019. Accordingly, such financial information may be subject to change. All financial information contained in this news release is qualified in its entirety with reference to such financial statements. While the Company does not expect there to be any material changes, to the extent that the financial information contained in this news release is inconsistent with the information contained in the Company’s financial statements, the financial information contained in this news release shall be deemed to be modified or superseded by the Company’s financial statements. The making of a modifying or superseding statement shall not be deemed an admission for any purposes that the modified or superseded statement, when made, constituted a misrepresentation for purposes of applicable securities laws. Further, the reader should refer to the additional disclosures in the Company’s audited financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2018, previously filed on SEDAR.
Cresco references certain non-IFRS financial measures throughout this press release, which may not be comparable to similar measures presented by other issuers. Please see the “Non-IFRS Financial Measures” section at the end of this press release for more detailed information.